Dr. G. Viswanathan MBBS, founder of the GVN Hospital started his humble journey in the medical field in 1939 at Big Bazar Street in Trichy in a small way. In 1940 he started a free dispensary at his residence in Srirangam and a nursing home with ten beds in Big Bazar Street in Trichy. Dr. Viswanathan led a simple life and mode of transport was horse. His consultation was free of cost and also paid for his patients transport on many occasions. In 1950 the hospital was shifted to Babu Road with an increased strength of 16. Dr. Viswanathan’s sister joined with him as the first obstetrician and gynaecologist in Trichy. Dr. Viswanathan was the first honorary surgeon to the government head quarters hospital, Trichy and also served President of the Indian Medical Association, Trichy. His valuable service was extended to the prisoners in jail, Ramakrishna Tapovanam, Osanam free dispensary, Joseph College, Holy Cross which made him a legend in the medical fraternity. He was a great friend and philosopher for many of his friends and colleagues. Dr. Viswanathan fulfilled his dreams and attained the Lord’s feet at the age of 77 on April 4th 1984.
The legacy left by Dr. Viswanathan continued by Dr. V. Kanagaraj who was a renowned pediatrician and ENT surgeon. His valuable services are still extended to the Ramakrishna Tapovanam, Shankara Madam Tapovanam and Chitrambalam old age home. His wife Dr. Shantha Kanagaraj was a renowned obstetrician and gynaecologist of her times. In 1990 Dr. V. Kanagaraj and his brother to fulfill their father’s dream started the first cancer hospital in southern Tamil Nadu to cater to the needs of the people suffering from cancer in and around Trichy and adjoining districts. The cruel cancer disease led to the sad demise of Dr. Shantha Kanagaraj in 1995.
The generations of great work was taken over by the 3rd generation Dr. K. Govindaraj a laparoscopic surgeon along with Dr. Hemamalini Govindaraj an obstetrician and Gynaecologist. The GVN Hospital which was renowned for charity work became a pioneer in the state of the art in medical facilities.In 2003 Dr. G. Viswanathan Institute of Oncology and nuclear medicines was introduced in Trichy for the first time.
In 2005 Dr. Shantha Breast Cancer Foundation (SBCF) was started in memory of late Dr. K. Shantha, It is a registered nonprofit charitable organization. It was inaugurated by Padma Bhushan Magasaysay awardee Dr. V. Shantha, Chairman Cancer Institute, Adyar, Chennai. It has dedicated, enthusiastic executive committee comprising mostly medical professionals. Through its awareness and Education programme, SBCF reaches out to as many people as possible irrespective of gender, profession or ethnic group. SBCF believes that by doing so, more people will not only become aware of breast cancer and related issues but also become our partners in spreading our educational messages. We are proud to announce that more than 200 free breast cancer awareness camps were conducted in last 5 years. The services of the foundation were appreciated by the then President Dr. A.P.J .Abdul Kalam by a personal letter to the foundation. We are also proud to announce that in appreciation of the great work done by the breast cancer foundation the Rotary Club of Srirangam along with Rotary Club of Rockville, Washington, USA donate a State of the Art Mobile Mamo bus.
In 2007 GVN institute of Endoscopic Laser and Key Hole Surgery was started. In the same year tele medicine was started for the first time in Trichy and it was incorporated with the prestigious Adyar Cancer Institute, Chennai.
In 2009 Shanthallaya Hospice was started with a noble cause of treating the terminally ill and neglected cancer patients. It is a registered non profit charitable trust. It offers the specialized care of a hospital together with the love of a home. The team consists of doctors, nurses, counselors, volunteers and spiritual advisors to offer “total care to the patient”. The trust takes the pride of treating more than 900 patients free of cost of which 400 patients have had comfortable painless death with dignity in our hospice
In 2010 Dr. G. Viswanathan Specialty Hospitals was awarded the best performer and ranked the number one in medium sized hospitals in Tamil Nadu under Chief Ministers’s insurance scheme for the poor people.
In 2011 a new block of Dr. G. Viswanathan Speciality Hospitals was inaugurated with many unique features and most of the them for the first time in South.A new facility in collaboration with CBCC, Bakersfield, California with triple energy with LINAC electons
Accelerator with V Mat for cancer treatment was inaugurated on February 2nd , 2014