About us

beat-img

Overview

beat-img-1

Dr. G. Viswanathan MBBS, founder of  GVN Hospital started his humble journey in the medical field in 1939 at Big Bazaar Street in Trichy in a small way. In 1940 he started a free dispensary at his residence in Srirangam and a nursing home with ten beds in Big Bazaar Street in Trichy. Dr. Viswanathan led a simple life and the mode of transport was a horse. His consultation was free of cost and also paid for his patients’ transport on many occasions. In 1950 the hospital was shifted to Babu Road with the increased bed strength of 16. Dr. Viswanathan’s sister joined with him as the first obstetrician and gynaecologist in Trichy. Dr. Viswanathan was the first honorary surgeon to the government headquarters hospital, Trichy and also served as President of the Indian Medical Association, Trichy. His valuable service was extended to the prisoners in jail, Ramakrishna Tapovanam, Osanam free dispensary, Joseph College and Holy Cross which made him a legend among the medical fraternity. He was a great friend and philosopher to many of his friends and colleagues. Dr. Viswanathan fulfilled his dreams and attained the Lord’s feet at the age of 77 on April 4th, 1984.

The legacy left by Dr. Viswanathan was continued by Dr. V. Kanagaraj who was a renowned paediatrician and ENT surgeon. His valuable services are still extended to the Ramakrishna Tapovanam, Shankara Madam Tapovanam and Chitrambalam old age home. His wife Dr. Shantha Kanagaraj was a renowned obstetrician and gynaecologist of her times. In 1990 Dr. V. Kanagaraj and his brother started the first cancer hospital in southern Tamil Nadu to cater to the needs of the people suffering from cancer in and around Trichy and adjoining districts. At that time little did they know that Dr.Shantha Kanagaraj would succumb to cancer which led to her sad demise in 1995.

The generations of great work were taken over by the 3rd generation Dr. K. Govindaraj a laparoscopic surgeon along with Dr. Hemamalini Govindaraj an obstetrician and Gynaecologist. The GVN Hospital which was renowned for charity work became a pioneer in the state of the art medical facilities. 

In 2003 Dr. G. Viswanathan Institute of Oncology and Nuclear Medicine was introduced in Trichy for the first time. 

beat-img

Dr. Shantha Breast Cancer Foundation (SBCF)

beat-img-1

In 2005 Dr. Shantha Breast Cancer Foundation (SBCF) was started in memory of the late Dr. K. Shantha, It is a registered non-profit charitable organization. It was inaugurated by Padma Bhushan Magsaysay awardee Dr. V. Shantha, Chairman of Cancer Institute, Adyar, Chennai. It has a dedicated, enthusiastic executive committee comprising of mostly medical professionals. Through its awareness and Education programme, SBCF reaches out to as many people as possible irrespective of gender, profession or ethnic group. SBCF believes that by doing so, more people will not only become aware of breast cancer and related issues but also become partners in spreading our educational messages. We are proud to announce that more than 200 free breast cancer awareness camps were conducted in the last 5 years. The services of the foundation were appreciated by the then President Dr. A.P.J Abdul Kalam by a personal letter to the foundation. We are also proud to announce that in appreciation of the great work done by the breast cancer foundation the Rotary Club of Srirangam along with the Rotary Club of Rockville, Washington, USA is donated a State of the Art Mammo bus at the cost of thirty lakhs to the foundation.

Since 1939 Dr. G. Viswanathan and his family offer free consultation till today.

1939

Dr. G. Viswanathan MBBS, founder of Dr. G. Viswanathan Hospital started his humble journey in the medical field at Chawk in Trichy

1950

G. Viswanathan Hospital moved to the current premises in Babu Road1952 Boyles Apparatus (for Anaesthesia) was introduced first in South Tamil Nadu.Viswanathan’s sister Dr. G. Sakunthala the first lady doctor of Trichy started maternity practice along with her brother.

1960

In mid 1960 Dr. G. Viswanathan’s sons, Dr. V. Jayapal and Dr. V. Kanagaraj started their careers with their father. Dr. V. Kanagaraj’s wife Dr. K. Shantha started practising from 1967.

1968

300MA X-ray machine introduced for the first time in Trichy practicing from 1967.

1968

First Olympus fibre optic upper gastrointestinal endoscopy/colonoscopy in Trichy.

1990

Dr. V. Kanagaraj along with his brother Dr. V. Jayapal started the first cancer hospital in Southern Tamil Nadu with Telecobalt and Branchytherapy

1993

Started the school of nursing

1996

First Oesostenting procedure for Cancer oesophagus in Trichy

1997

First Endoscopic retrograde cholangio- pancreatography, (ERCP) in Trichy. First Neodymium yttrium aluminium garnet (NdYAG) laser endoluminisation in Trichy

1999

Para medical colleges for nursing & physiotherapy was started.

2000

Endocon – Hands on course for endoscopy was started. This yearly course has completed 18 years and continues even today.

2001

First Colonic stenting  in Trichy.

2004

G. Viswanathan Institute of Oncology and Nuclear Medicine was started in Trichy. First Gamma SPECT Camera and I-131 therapy was introduced first in Trichy.First Siemens Digital Tilt CT scan was introduced in India.First 24Hrs Ambulatory PH Monitoring in South Tamil Nadu.

2005

Sutureless Biclamp Vaginal Hysterectomy was introduced for the first time in Trichy by Dr. Zupke, Germany in Gynaecon Workshop in our hospital.First tracheal stent done in TrichyDr Shantha Breast Cancer Foundation (SBCF) was started.

2007

Double balloon enteroscopy was introduced first in Tamilnadu.NOTES Vaginal Appendectomy was introduced first in Trichy.

2009

High Definition Endoscopy Systems introduced in Trichy.G. Viswanathan Speciality Hospital new block in Babu Road was inauguratedShanthallaya Hospice Trust, the first, non-profit, a completely free hospice in Trichy was started. 2011 – First IORT (Intra Operative RadioTherapy) introduced in south Tamil Nadu.

2010

Dr. G. Viswanathan Hospital was awarded best Performer in Tamil Nadu Chief Ministers Insurance Scheme for the Poor people by the Chief Minister Dr. M. Karunanithi.

2011

Intra Operative Radiotherapy introduced for the first time in Tamil NaduFirst Stoma care therapist and exclusive stoma care clinic in Trichy

2012

Mammobus (A mobile mammography unit) – Mammobus was first introduced in South India by Dr. K. Shantha Breast Cancer Foundation.

2013

Bone Anchored Hearing Aid Implant (BAHA) first in South Tamilnadu by Department of ENT of the hospital.

2014

Another new block Dr. G. Viswanathan Hospital was started at Mambalasalai.High end state of art LINAC (3 energy photons and 4 energy electrons) with Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy (V MAT), Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy (IMRT) Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT) facilities for Cancer treatment – a first in Trichy

2017

National Accreditation Board for Hospitals (NABH) obtained for Dr. G. Viswanathan Speciality Hospital, Babu Road and Dr. G. Viswanathan Hospital, Mabalasalai.Spyglass Digital Laser Cholangioscopy was introduced First in South Tamil Nadu.

2018

Infra Red and Narrow Band Imaging Laparoscopy was introduced in the country for the first time   by Dr G Viswanathan Hospital.

2019

We are introducing the Elexuco, The Linked Colour Imaging (LCI)/Blue Light Imaging (BLI) endoscopy for the first time  Tamil Nadu.

beat-img-white

GVN Institute of Endoscopic Laser and Key Hole Surgery

beat-img-white2

In 2007 GVN Institute of Endoscopic Laser and Key Hole Surgery was started. In the same year, telemedicine was started for the first time in Trichy and it was incorporated with the prestigious Adyar Cancer Institute, Chennai.

beat-img

Shanthallaya Hospice

beat-img-1

In 2009 Shanthallaya Hospice was started with the noble cause of treating terminally ill and neglected cancer patients. It is a registered non-profit charitable trust. It offers the specialized care of a hospital together with the love of a home. The team consists of doctors, nurses, counselors, volunteers and spiritual advisors to offer “total care to the patient”. The trust takes pride in treating more than 400 patients free of cost of which 200 patients have had comfortable painless death with dignity in our hospice. In 2011 an Omni van was purchased and a home care service was inaugurated. 

In 2010 Dr. G. Viswanathan Speciality Hospitals Private Limited was awarded the best performer and ranked number one in medium-sized hospitals in Tamil Nadu under Chief Ministers’ insurance scheme for the poor people. 

In 2011 a new block of Dr. G. Viswanathan Speciality Hospitals Private Limited was inaugurated with many unique features and most of them for the time in the South.

The new premises first inaugurated on February 2nd, 2014 is a unique facility in collaboration with CBCC, Bakersfield, California with 3 Photon Linac Accelerator with V Mat for cancer treatment. 

DR.G.Viswanathan Hospital at 1939

Dr. G. Viswanathan MBBS, founder of Dr. G. Viswanathan Hospital started his humble journey in the medical field at Chawk in Trichy

DR.G.Viswanathan

M.B.B.S.,

Founder

DR.G. Sakuntala 

M.B.B.S., DGO

DR. V. Kanagaraj 

M.D., D.C.H

Former Director

DR.K.Shantha

M.B.B.S., D.G.O

Former Director

Prof Dr K. Govindaraj

Chairman

Laparascopic, Endoscopic and Laser Surgeon

DR. Hemamalini Govindaraj 

M.D.OG., FICS.,

Director

Obstetrics & Gynaecology